Who doesn’t love crumble? But at this time of year, who wants to turn the oven on? And with peaches so fresh and delicious, they’re perfect as is. This is why in the summer, I’m all over RAW crumbles. And this raw crumble is ridiculously good.
And the best part is that you can get down with this raw crumble without feeling guilty. It’s full of fresh fruits, antioxidants and good fats. Sometimes I even raw crumble it for breakfast. Here’s the lowdown on the ingredients:
- Peaches are high in fibre, vitamin C (an antioxidant vitamin that helps to prevent free radical damage) and beta carotene (which is the precursor to vitamin A, which is essential for eye health).
- Blueberries are very high in antioxidants, which, as we know, help to counteract free radical damage. They’re also low on the glycemic index, meaning that they won’t drastically raise your blood sugar.
- Medjool dates, aside from being ridiculously delicious, are high in vitamin B6 and potassium. In this recipe, the dates and the fruits provide the sweetness. But although they’re really sweet, dates won’t raise blood sugar as much as a sweetener will. This is because they’re loaded with fibre, which slows the absorption of glucose into the bloodstream.
- Walnuts are high in vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids (which provide anti-inflammatory benefits and are good for heart health). Walnuts are also high in magnesium, calcium and potassium. And, have you ever noticed that a walnut looks like a brain? Maybe this has something to do with the fact that walnuts are actually good for the brain.
- Cinnamon helps to regulate blood sugar.
Double the recipe and keep the crumble topping in the fridge for whenever the mood strikes you, or when ever you find crazy good fruit.
Raw Peach Crumble
¼ cup walnuts
2 medjool dates, cut into small pieces
Shake of cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt
4 small peaches
¼ cup blueberries
Pulse walnuts, dates, cinnamon and sea salt in a blender or food processor until mixture resembles crumbs.
Cut peaches into thin slices (no need to peel if they’re organic), and arrange on two plates. Sprinkle with berries and top with the crumble topping. Serves two lucky people.