On Monday I was the guest on Leah Miller’s Live With Leah show on E! Canada. Watch the video where I talk about kicking the sugar habit!
On the show I shared a recipe for a filling and delicious dessert that you can eat when you’re in the midst of a sugar craving (but of course, if you eat naturally sweet, whole foods such as apples and sweet potatoes, balanced meals with plenty of protein, fibre and good fats, and cinnamon, you may find that you don’t crave sugar like you used to). It’s made with chia seeds, which contain lots of good fats (omega-3 and -6), fibre and protein – all these things will help keep your belly full. The cinnamon in the recipe helps to stabilize your blood sugar and the stevia adds natural sweetness. Trust me… I make this chia pudding whenever I am still hungry after dinner and want something a little sweet. It also makes a near perfect breakfast of champions – it’s surprising how filling this pudding is!
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup non dairy milk (almond works best, or ¼ cup coconut milk + ¼ cup water)
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 5 drops liquid stevia
- ¼ – ½ tsp cinnamon (to taste)
- ½ banana or ½ apple
- In a bowl, combine the chia seeds, milk alternative, vanilla, stevia and cinnamon.
- Stir to combine, and allow to sit for at least five minutes, until the chia seeds swell.
- Taste and adjust sweetness and cinnamon.
- Top with fruit and enjoy.
- This recipe can be made the night before and left in the fridge until you’re ready to eat it.
Want to know more about kicking sugar cravings?
This is a personal favourite topic of mine, as I consider myself a reformed sugar addict (remember the Blood Sugar Witch?). Read all about it in these two posts:
- Blood Sugar Witch: Part 1, foods that unleash your inner blood sugar witch
- Blood Sugar Witch: Part 2, ways to get your blood sugar witch to simmer down
Wishing you balanced blood sugar and fewer cravings! xo Andrea