When I was a teenager, my mother dated a vegan.
As you can imagine, dreams of pizza dinners were squashed on the regular. I would be called to the table for dinner, only to arrive to a bowl of mixed greens, marinated tofu and a curious, creamy, tahini type of dressing.
Not super satisfying to a fifteen year old.
Fast forward to years later, when I tried an almost identical curious, creamy, tahini type of dressing at a popular vegetarian restaurant here in Toronto. And it tasted just like my teen years. Memories flooded back.
Now I make my own version of that curious, creamy, tahini type of dressing all the time. It’s so amazingly versatile and full of super ingredients. Ingredients like calcium and magnesium-rich tahini, anti-microbial, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal garlic, alkalizing, cleansing and digestion-enhancing lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. And blood purifying, vitamin C rich parsley.
It’s included in my detox plans, and people are always raving about how versatile it is. Here are just some things you can do with it:
- Drizzle it over soup. Two of my fave soups to driz over: Broccoli Soup and Beautiful Borscht. Also, any sweet potato soup would likely love a light blanket of it.
- Veggie dip. My fav veg to dip: steamed broccoli, or Rutabaga French Fries.
- Pour over grilled or roasted veggies. My fav: grilled eggplant.
- Top a bowl of grains with it. My fav: brown rice, with some grated carrots, avocado and lots of other fresh, in season veggies. Or, it would be delish over a Broccoli and Cauliflower bowl.
- Use it as a base for your next chicken or potato salad. Just add some extra herbs.
- Finish a kale salad. Massage your kale with a little lemon and extra virgin olive oil, let it wilt a little and drizzle with this tahini sauce.
- A beautiful sauce for your chicken or fish. Instead of cream sauce (just saying).
- Or, of course, as a salad dressing for your lovely spring green salad.
Are you inspired yet? Here’s the recipe (and if you’re comparing it to the recipe found with the Broccoli Soup, note that I’ve changed this version slightly).
- 2 heaping tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped parsley
- ½ tsp sea salt
- juice from ½ lemon
- 1 capful apple cider vinegar
- 1-1.5 cups water, depending on desired consistency
- Blend until creamy.
Wishing you the dreamiest of tahini sauce experiments. xo Andrea