Hello back to school and work people!
Coming into fall is the best time to let go of things that no longer serve us. It’s time to prepare for the slower, more inward vibe of fall and winter. And while our bodies are still warm from the summer sun, it’s a good time to embark on a mini-cleanse. This time around, as a newbie, I decided to give juice cleansing a try.
I’m now on day 3 and am feeling great! I had been hesitant to try one, but knew that this was the right time to do it. I’m going to talk about some of the benefits of juice cleansing, but before I do, I want to mention some important points:
- I don’t believe in juice cleansing as a cure-all or way to lose weight.
- If you’re thinking of doing a juice cleanse, it is important to consult with a qualified health care practitioner to make sure that it is safe. There are certain people who should not juice cleanse. Contact me if you want to learn more.
What is a Juice Cleanse?
Although it may sound new, juice cleanse is a form of fasting. Fasting originated in India thousands of years ago and has been practiced by many religions as a way to purify the body and prepare for the new season. But with a juice cleanse, we drink fresh pressed juices that flood our bodies with nutrients.
Benefits of a Juice Cleanse
- Detoxification – we accumulate waste in our bodies that comes from our environment (the air we breathe, the food we eat, any exposure to pollution, pesticides or personal care products) and from inside our own bodies (uneliminated waste matter that is a product of poor digestion, for example). Digestion is a process that requires a tremendous amount of energy, particularly if we’re eating foods that we’re sensitive or allergic to. Some research suggests that around one third of our available energy is used for digestion! Removing this process (by drinking juices with no fibre) allows our bodies to use energy for detoxification.
- Pressing ‘RESET’ – a cleanse was my personal introduction to the world of holistic nutrition, and I’ve experienced many benefits from seasonal cleanses ever since.
- Cooling – the summer heat is hot and, at this time of year, a juice cleanse can help to reduce some of that hot summer heat.
- Fasting – I decided to do a juice cleanse because I felt like I needed to take a break from thinking about food. I wanted to go inward, take a little break, and fall into the autumn vibe.
That’s about it. I’m going to drink another juice now. If you feel that a juice cleanse (or end of summer cleanse) is right for you, be in touch! xo Andrea