Have you ever had one of those afternoons where you just can’t find the will to do much? You feel tired, unmotivated and overheated and are craving something that will cool you down. This happened to me the other day. I was craving ice cream but knew that eating it would make me even more sleepy. So I made this recipe, and even though it doesn’t taste like ice cream, it satisfied that craving.
This chilled coconut matcha latte will change the trajectory of those lazy summer afternoons.
I’ve talked about the benefits here, but matcha tea is absolutely full of antioxidants. Here are just a few of its health benefits:
- Matcha is made from tea leaves that grow in the shade. This is what gives the leaves their deeper green colour and resulting boost in amino acids.
- Because matcha is a powder made from these ground up tea leaves, it contains roughly 10 times the antioxidants and nutrients found in regular green tea. This means that you’d have to drink 10 cups of regular tea to get the same benefits in one cup of matcha.
- Green tea has also been found to be thermogenic, meaning that it can help you burn fat! The best time to drink it? Before a workout, to boost your metabolism by 25%.
- An energy boost that won’t leave you crashing. Tea in general provides a more mellow energy boost that lasts longer than coffee.
And matcha is super easy to incorporate into your life because it doesn’t require steeping. You can literally blend it into smoothies! I used Kiss Me Organics Organic Matcha and it was delicious. (Kiss Me Organics makes a well-priced, organic, food grade matcha that’s available on amazon.com)
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 tbsp full fat coconut milk (from a can)
- A few drops stevia or 1 tsp honey or maple syrup (or more to taste, some people find the taste of matcha to be too ‘grassy’)
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend. Pour into a glass with some ice cubes and enjoy.