Last week, the lovely Charlene Theodore and I hosted an event about healthy boozing. After we shared some delicious recipes for healthier versions of cocktails, the conversation turned to non-alcoholic cocktails – we just don’t give much attention to these guys because we’re so focused on the hard stuff. But a properly made virgin cocktail can taste so great that we want to drink it as-is.
I’ve been loving this refreshing virgin spritzer on those days when I need a break from vino (and negronis). It’s a delicious detox drink for those days when you want to rehydrate and mini-cleanse.
Health Benefits of the Watermelon Kombucha Spritz
- Watermelon is full of lycopene, a phytonutrient that helps to keep your skin healthy in the sun. Its vitamin c is like food for your adrenal glands and skin, and also helps to keep your immune system humming.
- Kombucha is a fermented tea that aids in detoxification, thanks to glucaric acid and enzymes that increase your body’s ability to detoxify. Because kombucha is a fermented food (like yogurt, sauerkraut and kimchi), its beneficial bacteria help to break down food and absorb nutrients, keeping our digestive systems happy and healthy.
- 1 cup watermelon cubes (including seeds), blended or crushed
- 1 cup ginger or rose kombucha (I like GT’s ginger and Rise’s rose/hibiscus)
- Put all ingredients into a glass and top with ice.
If you’re interested in learning how to make kombucha, contact me for my upcoming Kombucha Workshop dates.