Here’s something to drink during the hot days of summer (summer solstice is tomorrow, FYI). This chaga lemonade is a cross between a health tonic and a plain old summer lemonade.
Chaga mushrooms, which can be found growing on birch trees, are an ancient folk remedy for all sorts of ailments. When consumed on a regular basis, chaga can help to slow the aging process, is said to prevent damage to DNA and disease, and boosts the immune system. Truly a beauty food. I’ve written more about chaga mushrooms here.
The lemon is alkalizing, detoxifying and cooling in this warmer weather.
- 2 cups strong chaga tea, cooled (make the tea by letting the chaga steep all night)
- ½ lemon or 1 full lime, juiced
- A few drops liquid stevia or 1-2 tsp maple syrup or honey
- Pour the chaga tea into a larger jug (a mason jar works perfectly).
- Add the citrus juice, sweetener and two cups of cold water. Stir and give a taste.
- Pour into glasses with ice and serve.
Happy summer. xo