The Canadian supplement company CanPrev sent me some samples of its new protein powder called Core to test out. I had a great time playing with this yummy product and have created a delicious smoothie bowl recipe.
But before we get there, I need to talk about protein. Although women tend to think of it as that macronutrient that builds bulk and muscles, protein actually has many important functions in the body:
- Protein is found in every single cell in the body and gives our bodies structure (ladies, the connective proteins keratin and collagen, which are ingredients in fancy beauty products, are made from protein).
- Protein is critical for digestion and assimilation – stomach acid and enzymes are made from amino acids, the building blocks of protein. Ditto with our hormones and neurotransmitters – the way that the cells in our bodies communicate with each other and our moods are dependent on protein!
- Protein boosts immunity. Antibodies, which are made from proteins, are the superheroes that help us fight off colds and flus.
- Protein contributes to fullness, weight loss and blood sugar control.
Even if you’re not a regular user, it’s a good idea to have some protein powder in your pantry. I personally don’t use protein powder every day, but do find that a good protein is a staple in my cupboard for those days when I know I’ll be physically active and/or won’t be eating a lot of protein. A good protein powder is also a very good idea if you are a busy vegetarian or vegan. Or if you travel a lot ,because having a good protein powder (preferably one that also contains greens) is a lifesaver that first morning back to work when you haven’t had an opportunity to grocery shop. Because we know that a well made smoothie is a great way to ensure that we’re starting our days off properly, we don’t have to worry as much about what we’ll eat for the rest of the day(which I’ve written about here).
What I like about Core is that it uses complimentary proteins. Many plant-based protein powders only use one source of vegan protein, such as brown rice or soy. The problem is that plant-based proteins are incomplete sources of protein, By combining yellow pea and brown rice proteins, CanPrev has created a complete and usable protein (and there’s no soy). Core For Women also contains superfood ingredients, such as a green blend and super fruit blend. It also contains the nutrients you’d find in a quality women’s multi, including the all-important B Vitamins. (CanPrev is a leading Canadian supplement manufacturer and you’ll find that its formulations are based on therapeutic and effective nutrient doses.)
Smoothie bowls are cropping up all over social media and for good reason. They’re beautiful to look at and they’re super healthy and delicious. The trick is to keep the smoothie part as thick as possible. I recommend that you start with half a cup of water and add a little more if you can’t get the mixture to blend.
- ½ cup water
- 1 banana (best if frozen!)
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 package or scoop CanPrev Core Daily Performance Shake For Women in vanilla
- ¼ cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp of a mix of other toppings: unsweetened coconut flakes, cacao nibs, goji berries, hemp seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sprinkle of cinnamon
- Blend the banana, water, hemp and chia seeds until smooth. Add Core and blend again until mixed thoroughly (around 5-10 seconds). Pour into a bowl and top with blueberries and 2 tablespoons of a mix of other superfood seeds and dried fruit.
Here’s to healthy breakfasts! xo Andrea